Friday, May 13, 2011

Please, God....Help get me through this!

To be honest with you, this is what I've been saying the past 3 weeks.  Today I start day 1 of week 4, yet after 4 days of reading Faithfully Fit, I stopped...  Thankfully, I continued to exercise, but I have not had the chance to grow in my faith due to my continued lack of commitment to my promise to God.  So, every day that I've exercised, all I've been able to do is call out to God to help me complete the hour.  And though this is entirely enough - remembering to just call to Him and continuing to surrender to Him....I know that I've been depriving myself of what HE wants to teach me through this journey.  I believe I will have this journey for the rest of my life, but I have wasted 17 days of getting stronger in my faith - 17 days of gaining more understanding and more tools to help me fight my own humanity.  So now - time to get back up and keep on going.

I want to be able to think about more than "God, help me get through this".  This plea has definitely been my backbone the last 3 weeks.  There have been days, 15 minutes into working out, that I just flat wanted to quit.  I've kept my promise that I will continue the Slim in 6 program (freaked out last Saturday because life struck and I missed, but made that up on my rest day Wed, then changed my rest day to Thurs and now back on track - I'll now finish 1 day later, which I think is pretty good when considering that sometimes life does get in the way of things.)  I've counted my calories - have had pretty good success with that, except weekends are definitely harder.  It's time to bring that up a notch as well - I need to figure out the best thing for me to start on next: adding more veggies? counting another nutritional factor?  upping my water and keeping it up?  Something else I haven't thought of yet?

The activity today in Faithfully Fit was to read one of the Gospel accounts of the Resurrection.  I read Luke 24:1-8 " 1 On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, the women took the spices they had prepared and went to the tomb. 2 They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, 3 but when they entered, they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 While they were wondering about this, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them. 5 In their fright the women bowed down with their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? 6 He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: 7 ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’8 Then they remembered his words."

Two things I noticed: 
  1.  Jesus told them that He would be crucified but would then rise on the third day - they had forgotten that He told them this;
  2. The same God with the power to raise Jesus is the same God with the power to empower me to be successful in overcoming my gluttony and unhealthy lifestyle.  I just have to remember this.

Definition:
gluttony (ˈɡlʌtənɪ)
-n
  the act or practice of eating to excess

It's so easy to get caught up in every day life, even when you're trying to do the right things.  I just have to remember that my God is big enough to handle the stresses; He's big enough to handle the temptations; and He wants me to rely on His power with my struggles.  Time to move on from "Please, God, Help me get through this!" to understanding more of why and how He will.

0 Comments:

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter